Image result for Where are the UK’s most dangerous regions for driving?

Around 6% of all injury collisions which are reported to the police throughout the UK have speeding as a contributing factor — making it one of the nation’s most common driving offences. This is according to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA), which goes on to state that 15% of these crashes result in a serious injury occurring and 26% resulting in a death.

Is speeding a problem seen across the whole of the UK though, or is it much more a problem in some regions than others? Van Monster, a specialist retailer of Ford Fiesta vans, explores…

Hotspots for speeding throughout the UK

Police forces set out the severity of speeding amongst drivers in the UK during 2017 in the areas they patrol after UK Carline sent out a Freedom of Information request. West Yorkshire proved to be the region facing the most severe speeding issue across the UK. Throughout 2017, police forces issued 142,610 speeding tickets to drivers exceeding the legal speed limit, more than double the tickets issued than the regions in second and third place. The fastest speed recorded in the region was 160mph in a 70mph zone – 90mph above the legal speed limit! Further worrying figures for West Yorkshire reveals that the highest speed recorded in a 30mph zone was 102mph – more than three times the legal speed limit!

The region with the second most amount of speeding tickets issued was Surrey (62,623), followed by West Mercia in third place (62,503). Whilst Kent is ranked as number six, it still takes joint second place with Surrey for the fastest speeds clocked in a 70mph zone, with speeds reaching 150mph — more than double the legal speed limit.

Here’s a rundown of the regions which made the full top 10 when it comes to the highest numbers of speeding tickets issued in 2017:

Rank Region No. of speeding tickets issues (2017)
1 West Yorkshire 142,610
2 Surrey 62,623
3 West Mercia 62,503
4 Dundee 60,465
5 North Wales 57,224
6 Kent 53,590
7 Lancashire 51,455
8 Humberside 49,982
9 Norfolk 49,730
10 Dorset 45,344

UK Carline general manager Jonathan Nolan commented: “Our research has certainly produced some eye-opening insight into the UK’s driving habits, with some worryingly fast speeds being clocked by speed cameras up and down the country over the last few years.

“We hope the stats will make people think twice next time they consider speeding, particularly in more residential areas. Drivers should always stay safe on the roads by never exceeding the speed limits.”

Speeding hotspots and dangerous roads — is there a link?

We’ve now discovered the speeding hotspots across the UK, but will the same regions crop up when classifying the areas of the country that have the most dangerous roads with the highest levels of road traffic accidents?

To find out, let’s take a look at the government’s annual Road Safety 2016 report — specifically the section which sets of the UK’s road traffic accident hotspots. When analysing the figures, the West Midlands appears to be the most dangerous region with a total of 37,153 casualties throughout the five-year period leading up to 2016. West Yorkshire, the region which was highlighted to be the UK’s speeding hotspot, ranked number three in terms of danger levels, with 36,597 casualties in the same time period. The Department of Transport reported a 6% increase in the number of casualties on our roads.

The majority of accidents recorded throughout the UK took place across the south of the country. Despite this, West Yorkshire, Greater Manchester and Lancashire were the top three most dangerous places to drive in the north of England. In fact, five of the top ten most dangerous counties were located in the north of the UK. Kinross-shire in Scotland was branded home to the most dangerous drivers in the UK, however, on the other hand Scotland was also named the safest area to drive in, with Dumfries and Galloway having the fewest casualties in the whole of the UK.

Dangerous driving and road traffic accident rates are indeed a problem for the UK then, but it must also be stressed that the country is also now one of the safest places to drive throughout all of Europe. When comparing the number of road deaths across countries in Europe, only Sweden had a lower rate than the UK. And when it comes to the global scale, the UK is ranked number 10 for the safest place to drive in the world. This could have something to do with the 92% of drivers that class themselves as a ‘good driver’. Maybe it’s time that we worked to improve the driving habits of the remaining 8% to make our roads safer once and for all.